Saturday, August 04, 2007

JH Missions Experience

Tomorrow afternoon I will be taking 10 middle school students into the heart of urban Los Angeles for four days of service. I have been thinking a lot about missions, mission work and general evangelism, and I have honestly come to the conclusion that I know nothing. This is a claim that has been pronounced by my mouth many times, and honestly I don't know anything. After taking many classes on world evangelism and urban studies, I still seem to miss the point what we are called to do. Serving in LA is more than just filling a church requirement or creating a wonderful, growing experience; its about be Christ-like. This thought has infested my brain. What does it mean to be Christ-like? Hopefully I and our middle school students will return on Wednesday with a deeper meaning to this question...changed would be ideal.

What does it mean to be a Christian. I look around and find that people can provide any answer they choose as much as it corresponds to their selfish lifestyle. I look around and see apathy. Even in my own life. How are we to go down to LA, and feed the poor, wash some feet, and "pretend" to know what it means to service Christ by serving others, when only to return unchanged? (Please note: if you think the answer is simple to answer, you have not a clue. Start by reading the book of Matthew.)

1 comment:

wendeth said...

Man....feelsl like you and are on on similar wavelenghts!!!! I've ordered that book you mentioned ages ago....I think you're on the right path....continualy seeking is moving from the childish to the advanced (if you will)....I think we shouldn't have these answers, if we did, we'd stop seeking and end up right where we see those that are apathetic...just my opinion. Hope to talk soon.