Monday, May 21, 2007

Reflections on JH Discipleship

The weekend is finally over and I must say that it was downright an awesome experience. I am still processing much of what was said and done this weekend. I guess the ultimate purpose of this weekend was to take a small groups of JH students to an environment that would be free of distractions and "try" to connect with God in many different ways. The important thing that I walked away was this notion of "do we really know our students?" A simple question, right? Do we know their hurts, their dreams, their home life? Do we know what makes them laugh or cry? This what I observed by watching my leaders this weekend. I also observed how lazy some students can be. I know that its still JH, but when do we start (or should I say they start) to (teach/learn) servanthood? This is my new study, more to come this later.

Here are some highlights and lowlights....

Highlights


  • Worship and camping at the beach...can't beat that!

  • Watching the students being stretched beyond their comfort zones.

  • The foot washing by the light of tiki-torches that lined the beach at night.

  • Watching the red tide light show at night.

  • Body boarding at San Clemente

  • Watching my buddy Mike present a fine job of what it means to be a disciple of Christ.

Lowlights



  • It was overcast the whole weekend.

  • The drunkards in the camp next ot us.

  • Students killing squirrels.

  • Under packing cooking gear.

  • Not knowing your camping gear.

  • No hot showers.

  • Sand in places that it should never be.

I leave you with this; junior high students are very much capable of way more than we can imagine. Discipleship is a process that is different for everyone, and must be taken seriously. Yet, it is very much corporate in the sense in what it accomplishes. More to come on that.

No comments: