Monday, May 22, 2006

Humble Pie Weekend

This weekend God gave me a wonderful helping of humble pie. On Saturday I had the opportunity to serve by helping a blind family move from an apartment to a house. This task seemed easy enough...wrong. Not only, did I get lost, I didn't have the guts to call to get the proper directions from the family. So I paid with 3/4 of my gas tank and a long day.

It is easy to forget what we are supposed to learn from things like this. I spend the day reflecting and this is what I came up with:
  • Service is not about time schedules, pride, disabilities or ego...It’s about love!
  • Never underestimate people with disabilities...God can use anyone!
  • God's timing is unbelievable and perfect!

On Sunday, a student informed that our JH mission’s weekend experience (that is happening in June) will not be as good as the last one, because the former junior high pastor and his wife are not here to facilitate this event. This hurt...a little. I am one that wears his emotions on his sleeves. Acid comments and frosty glares do not bother me. But, as I'm trying to the best job I can with this ministry, a comment from a student who hasn't been in the JH ministry for the last year and a half was unexpected.

Lessons I learned from Sunday morning's second helping of humble pie:

  • No ministry is perfect!
  • God can use anyone!
  • Learn from the past, be encouraged by the future!
  • We do make a difference in our student’s lives!

God is so good! " My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" ( 2nd Cor. 12:9)

No comments: